When should I call the doctor if my child has abdominal pain?

Infants and toddlers often can’t tell you that their tummy hurts, so it can take some detective work on your part to figure out when you really need to call and have your child evaluated. The following signs and symptoms should be taken seriously because they may indicate a more pressing medical issue.

Call your pediatrician or schedule an appointment right away if any of the following is true:
  • your child looks sick
  • pain is severe (especially in the lower right side)
  • pain is worsening
  • pain is constant for more than 2 hours
  • swollen or distended and tender belly
  • no interest in eating favorite food
  • persistent vomiting
  • persistent diarrhea
  • bloody, dark, or grape jelly-looking poop
  • can’t jump up and down without pain (referring to toddlers, of course)
  • can’t walk or walks hunched over (again, only applies to toddlers)
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Abdominal Pain

When Abdominal Pain or Discomfort Strikes
You probably don't think about the internal workings of your belly much—unless they're red-flagging you with sharp pain, aches or cramping. Even then,...
Why is it important to note where I feel pain on my stomach?
Imagine a clock face over your abdominal area and then ask yourself, “At what time is my pain? Where...
Sorting Out Your Stomach Pain
Sorting Out Your Stomach PainSorting Out Your Stomach PainSorting Out Your Stomach PainSorting Out Your Stomach Pain
Our experts can help you sort out the cause of your stomach pain. We’ve all experienced abdominal discomfort in some form or another, and we all know ...
What Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer Can Be Mistaken for Other Things?