Can I do anything on my own to prevent stomach aches?

There are number of simple things you can do to prevent a stomach ache. First, if certain types of foods cause your stomach ache you should avoid them. Common irritating foods include: spicy foods, tomato sauce, orange juice, coffee, dairy and gluten. If you are getting stomach aches, you can try taking antacids and/or probiotics. Both are available over the counter and have limited side effects. 
There are a number of things you can do on your own to prevent stomach ache. The foods you eat and the way you eat them can have a big impact on whether or not you feel stomach pain. To decrease the chances of getting stomach pain you should do the following:
  • Avoid fatty foods, such as red meat, butter, fried foods and cheese.
  • Eat several small meals each day rather than two or three big meals.
  • Avoid foods that seem to make your symptoms worse.
  • Do not take over-the-counter medicines that seem to make your symptoms worse such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
  • If you are lactose intolerant, meaning you cannot fully break down foods that have milk in them, avoid milk, cheese, ice cream or other foods that contain milk. People with lactose intolerance can avoid problems caused by milk if they take supplements with lactase which helps the body break down milk. An example of this is Lactaid.
  • If your stomach ache seems to be related to constipation you might need more fiber, a stool softener, or laxatives. You can get more fiber by eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and taking fiber pills, powders, or wafers.

Continue Learning about Abdominal Pain

5 Questions to Ask If You Have Stomach Pain
Whether you call it a stomach ache, tummy ache or the more medical “abdominal pain,” we’ve all had stomach pain. In fact, it’s one of the most common ...
What happens when I have a stomach pain?
HCA Houston Healthcare Clear LakeHCA Houston Healthcare Clear Lake
When you have a stomach pain you will have pain or discomfort in your belly. It can be accompanied b...
Sorting Out Your Stomach Pain
Sorting Out Your Stomach PainSorting Out Your Stomach PainSorting Out Your Stomach PainSorting Out Your Stomach Pain
Our experts can help you sort out the cause of your stomach pain.
Ask the Experts: Severe Asthma Symptoms
Ask the Experts: Severe Asthma Symptoms