How can I tone my abs?

Curls and sit-ups can definitely help tone your abs, but a new study suggests something else might work better. Seems counterintuitive, but working your upper body may be the quickest path to a really sculpted middle.

In a study, women did isometric exercises for their stomach, back, shoulders and arms while researchers measured muscle activity. The results? Shoulder extensions made middle-body muscles contract most -- apparently they work extra hard to stabilize your trunk when your wings are flapping.

Some more ways to get your midsection, and whole body into mint condition:
  • Roll out the ball. For strong core muscles and better balance, do tummy and back toners on an exercise ball.
  • Add resistance. Use weights or resistance bands for extra burn.

Continue Learning about Ab/Core Exercises

3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
With beach weather just around the corner, who isn't thinking about shedding a few pounds and tackling that muffin top? So we hit the floor and bang o...
What is the best abdominal exercise to give me a flat stomach?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
Unfortunately there is no such thing as spot reduction. So you can do crunches till the cows come ho...
What is the purpose of working my core?
The core is essentially your hips, glutes, abdominals and low back. Training the core is important b...
How should I do a bridge with chair exercise?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a bridge with chair exercise: Reps: 8-12 Sets: 1-3 Intensity: Moderate Tempo: 2-...