How should I do the one-legged bent-over row exercise?

Hold dumbbells by your side. Engage your core muscles by consciously contracting your butt muscles and draw in your belly button towards the spine. Bend over at the hips until your torso is approximately 45 degrees. Keep your back straight with the spine in a neutral position. Slightly lift one leg off of the ground and allow it to float above the floor. While maintaining this position, bend at the elbows to create a 90 degree angle. Pull the weight towards your chest using a rowing movement, driving your elbows back until the dumbbells are in line with your chest. Hold for 2 seconds and then lower the dumbbells back to a fully extended position. Repeat. Perform 3 sets of 15 repetitions.

Sari Greaves
The one-legged bent-over row exercise is a great exercise that works glutes, hamstring, and calf on the standing leg while also working the lower back, middle and upper back, shoulders, and biceps! Additionally, it quickly improves balance, coordination and flexibility.

Start by holding weights by your side. Stand on one leg, slowly bend forward until your back is as close to flat as possible. Raise back leg as high as possible and hold by contracting the glute and hamstring muscles on that leg. Also keep your core/abs engaged which will help you balance.

While maintaining a flat back, pull your weights up in a rowing motion and drive the elbows as far back as possible. Hold this position for a second if possible and then slowly lower to the straight arm position. Again, be sure to maintain a flat back.

Do three sets of 15 reps. Start with a very light weight to get the hang of it first and then work your way up.

While it may be a bit advanced for some, there are ways to make it a bit less challenging. If you are finding it difficult to balance you can try performing it with no weights at all or place your back foot on something for balance like a chair or wall.

Continue Learning about Ab/Core Exercises

3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
With beach weather just around the corner, who isn't thinking about shedding a few pounds and tackling that muffin top? So we hit the floor and bang o...
What are some exercises that can help reduce stomach fat?
Exercise of any form, resistance training or cardiovascular exercise, provides opportunity to expend...
What can I do if my stomach became doughy after my baby was born?
During pregnancy your body collects body fat and stores it for later use and protection. In addition...
Is There a Way to Tighten My Belly Without Using My Neck?