Should I do ab work at the end of my workout so, I won't hurt my back?

To the contrary, you should focus on your core early in your session as you will need these stabilizers to support you regardless of the body part you are training. Performing a few core exercises early in your workout will allow other muscle groups to operate more efficiently and enhance the overall experience.

Actually, we strongly recommend performing some "core" work near the beginning of your workout after stretching and a light aerobic warm-up. This method prepares your core for the rest of your workout. Regardless of what body part you are training (chest, back, legs etc.) or what type of exercise you're performing, your core plays a pivotal role to help you maintain proper posture and protect your spine. Performing a few core exercises (for example 1-3 exercises) will help "wake up" your nervous system and enable you to contract your core muscles (abdominals, low back, and gluteals) forcefully during your workout. When your core muscles are operating optimally, you're able to move more efficiently, enhance your workout, and prevent injury. It is important to note that you should not perform a high volume of core exercises that fatigue your core. The object is to simply "wake up" these muscles.

Ab work when done correctly should ultimately help your back.  I recommend that my clients begin their routines with foam rolling, stretching and then core (ab work) before getting into the more serious lifts.  Meet with a fitness professional to review your program and technique to make sure you are getting the most benefit from your core training.

Continue Learning about Ab/Core Exercises

3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
With beach weather just around the corner, who isn't thinking about shedding a few pounds and tackling that muffin top? So we hit the floor and bang o...
How do I perform the "hundred" exercise?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Lie on your back with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle (tabletop position). Arms are long by you...
How do I perform a ball side sit-up?
Lie on your side on a stability ball with the ball placed under your hips and our feet anchored ...
Transform YOU: Floor Bridge
Transform YOU: Floor Bridge