Intermountain Healthcare is a nonprofit health system based in Salt Lake City, Utah that serves the healthcare needs of the residents of Utah and southeastern Idaho. Its mission is to provide clinically excellent medical care at affordable rates in a healing environment. Some of Intermountain’s 23 hospitals include Intermountain Medical Center, Primary Children’s Medical Center, LDS Hospital, Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, Dixie Regional Medical Center, McKay-Dee Hospital Center.
When viruses infect your respiratory system (nose, throat, and chest), they can cause any or all of these symptoms of colds or flu:
- runny or stuffy nose
- sore throat
- watery eyes
- body aches
There's a fairly common bacterial infection of the throat called "strep throat." If strep throat isn't treated with antibiotics, it can lead to more serious problems. When to suspect strep? Here are a few clues:
- Maybe strep: a sore throat without cold symptoms or a sore throat with fever, headache,
Your doctor may recommend hysterectomy to treat a medical problem with your uterus. Possible problems include:
- Uterine fibroids (noncancerous growths in the uterus)
- Endometriosis (uterine tissue growing outside the uterus)
- Pelvic support problems (such as uterine prolapse)
- Abnormal uterine
If you have diabetes, stick to these simple rules for healthy eating:
- Eat meals and snacks at regular times every day.
- Don't eat between meals, except for planned snacks.
- Don't skip meals.
- Eat about the same amount of carbohydrates each day -- and space it evenly throughout the day.
For the most part, nutrition guidelines for people with diabetes match what everyone should be doing for their health.
You need a balanced diet to get the nutrients you need for good health. (Yes, your mom was right.) Since you have diabetes, this balancing act is even more important -- you need...Read More
Prediabetes puts you at risk for diabetes and other serious problems -- you need to act now to protect your health. If you have prediabetes, you can greatly reduce your chances of getting diabetes by following this action plan:
- Become more physically active every day. Aim for at least 30 minutes
Cholesterol is a soft, waxy substance that carries digested fat from your liver to other parts of your body. Cholesterol and other fats travel together in your blood in packages called lipoproteins. Different types of lipoproteins play different roles in the health of your heart:
- Low-density lipoprotein
To improve your heart health, you can get a moderate amount of physical activity in a variety of ways. The important thing is to choose activities you enjoy and that fit into your daily life. Doing a variety of types of exercise makes your workouts more interesting -- and it also brings a wider variety...Read More
Doctors use several different tools to learn about your condition and make a diagnosis:
- Questionnaires. Your doctor may use questionnaires to check for bipolar disorder and other mental health problems. The questionnaires ask about your symptoms at different times. They may also ask about stress,
Depression occurs at a higher-than-normal rate in people who have had heart attacks, cancer, and strokes. It's more common in people with a variety of chronic physical problems, including heart disease, chronic pain, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)/acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), d...Read More
We know depression is caused by changes in brain chemistry. But we don't know what triggers these changes in the first place. Still, studies do show that several factors seem to make a person more likely to develop depression:
- A family history of depression
- An unhappy event, such as a death
For the first few weeks after a heart attack or heart surgery, you may not have much of an appetite. If you had open heart surgery, your sense of taste may even be diminished, and the smell of food might make you nauseated. Nevertheless, you need to keep eating to keep up your strength and speed...Read More
The more you know about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the better you can cope with it. This goes for family members and teachers, as well as for the person with ADHD. Here are a few ways to get good information:
- Community ADHD classes. Learn about ADHD, how it impacts families,