What are the symptoms of heart failure?
Usually heart failure is fairly benign or results in constitutional symptoms, meaning symptoms that affect the whole body, such as fatigue or a general decline in the ability to perform daily tasks.
For example, a patient can find it difficult to walk to the mailbox or mow the lawn, things they... Full Post
How can I reduce pain from a wound or incision?
If your incision or wound is painful, you may take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) as recommended by your doctor to reduce pain. Follow the instructions on the bottle. If your doctor has prescribed pain medicine, take it as ordered. Also, as the wound heals, it may begin to itch.Full Post
How should I empty a Jackson-Pratt wound drain?
To empty your Jackson-Pratt wound drain:... Full Post
1. Wash your hands.
2. Remove the stopper from the bulb.
3. Turn the bulb upside down over the measuring cup provided by your nurse.
4. Squeeze the contents into the cup.
5. While the bulb is still squeezed, replace the stopper.
6. Measure and flush
How should I care for a loved one after hospital discharge?
After getting out of the hospital, you and your loved one will face a new challenge. You may find yourself wondering: Will he or she return to normal? How much depends on me? It's important to remember that no one can control how another person thinks or behaves. But you can be a helper and... Full Post
When should I call my doctor after heart valve replacement surgery?
After heart valve surgery, remember to report these symptoms to your doctor:
- Shortness of breath, especially with usual activities or when lying down
- Swelling (edema)
- Weight gain
- Excessive fatigue
- Change in your heartbeat, or palpitations
How can I prevent a wound from becoming infected?
The following are guidelines to help prevent a wound infection:
1. Use good hand-washing techniques before and after contact with your wound to help prevent the spread of infection. Here are the steps to follow:
Hand-washing with soap and water:
- Wet hands with warm water and apply soap.
How can I recover faster after a heart attack or heart surgery?
To help yourself recover faster after a heart attack or heart surgery:
- Exercise regularly. This is one of the best ways to help yourself recover. Exercise strengthens your body and helps you feel good about yourself.
- Get enough sleep. Most people need six to eight hours of sleep each night
What is aerobic exercise?
To stay motivated to exercise:
- Make it fun. Include activities that you enjoy.
- Mix it up. Vary your activities. For example, two walking sessions combined with two swimming sessions may keep you from becoming bored with exercise.
- Make it a family affair. Invite family or friends to exercise with
What are guidelines for activities after heart surgery?As you recover from cardiac heart surgery, you will need to balance your activity, exercise, and rest. Your breastbone (sternum) will take about eight weeks to completely heal. During this time, please follow these guidelines in your activity choices:
- Arm work: It's best to do activities that use
What should I expect during phase II outpatient cardiac rehabilitation?Your initial visit to phase II outpatient cardiac rehabilitation will be a one-on-one meeting with a cardiac rehabilitation clinician to orient you to the program. It will include your first exercise session. This visit will last approximately one hour and a half90 minutes. After this initial visit,... Full Post
What is phase II outpatient cardiac rehabilitation?Phase II cardiac rehabilitation is an outpatient program that is ordered by your physician to help you recover from a heart attack, angioplasty, heart surgery, or other heart-related problem. The program usually follows an inpatient hospitalization and inpatient cardiac rehabilitation (also known... Full Post
When can I go back to my normal activities after heart surgery?
Your doctor will let you know when you can return to your normal activity level at your follow-up visit. Gradually increasing your activity over the next several weeks after heart surgery will help you to return to your previous levels of activity. Taking part in outpatient cardiac rehabi... Full Post
How can I prevent constipation after surgery?
To help prevent constipation after surgery:
- Drink six to eight glasses of water a day (unless told otherwise).
- Increase fiber in your diet; some good sources of fiber are fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, beans, and high-fiber cereals.
- Take stool softeners if prescribed by your doctor.
- Limit n
How should I do coughing exercises after thoracic surgery?Follow these instructions on how to do coughing exercises at home after thoracic surgery.
1. Take a deep breath before coughing. This will allow air to push congestion upward during coughing to clear secretions.
2. Two short, clear coughs should be done after each inhalation. Throat clearing,... Full Post
How can I manage my pain after thoracic surgery?After thoracic surgery, Ttake pain medication as needed. Take it with food (such as crackers or toast), not on an empty stomach.
It is not uncommon for the pain to radiate to the front of the chest or stomach. It can be sharp, electric, or burning in nature. This happens as the nerves start to heal;... Full Post