This one-dish wonder uses potatoes but is low in carbs and diabetes friendly. The secret? It calls for only one potato, that's grated and mixed with shredded cheese to create a crisp, cheesy crust for a hearty, chili-spiced lean ground beef mixture. Top each serving with lettuce and diced tomatoes for a tasty, Tex-Mex meal.
Click below to watch chef Michel Nischan prepare this spicy, hearty casserole.
Cheesy Beef Casserole
olive oil cooking spray
1 small russet potato
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 lb extra lean ground beef (5% fat)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
14-1/2 oz canned unsalted, diced tomatoes
1 tbsp chili powder, or to taste
16 oz fresh shredded cabbage
1 pinch salt (optional)
1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
3 tbsp taco sauce (to taste, optional)
1 oz sliced jalapeno peppers, 6 slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Peel and grate potato into bowl. Spread evenly over bottom of prepared casserole. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until potato is browned and crispy. Remove from oven.
- In large skillet, brown ground sirloin, onion, and garlic, breaking up beef with wooden spoon. Drain any excess fat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili powder, and cabbage. Season with pepper to taste. Sauté and stir for about a minute.
- If mixture seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon bottled taco sauce, adding up to 2 tablespoons more, if needed.
- Spoon beef mixture on top of potatoes. Top with remaining cheese and jalapeño slices, if desired. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until casserole is hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Garnish with fresh lettuce, tomato, salsa, and cheddar cheese.
Makes 6 servings
Amount Per Serving Note:
Optional items are not included in nutritional facts.
Total Carbs 14.6g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Total Fat 6.9g
Saturated Fat 3.3g
Unsaturated Fat 3.6g
This one-dish wonder uses potatoes but is low in carbs and diabetes
friendly. The secret? It calls for only one potato, that's grated
and mixed with shredded cheese to create a crisp, cheesy crust for
a hearty, chili-spiced lean ground beef... More