Scallops, shrimp, catfish and crab take center stage in this low-carb, zesty seafood stew. And with fish as the main ingredient, this dish features plenty of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids -- great news for people with diabetes.
Fisherman's Seafood Bouillabaisse
1 tbsp olive oil
1-1/2 cups fresh chopped red onion
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cayenne (red pepper) (to taste)
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth, or chicken broth
2 cup dry white wine
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 yellow tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1 tsp ground thyme
2 bay leaves
pinch saffron, crushed
1 lb raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb large scallops, cut in half
1 lb fresh cod fillets, or grouper fillet, cut into bite-size pieces
1 lb catfish fillets (wild), cut into bite-size pieces
4 oz snow crab cocktail claws
1. In large stew pot, heat olive oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, approximately 4 minutes.
2. Add cumin and red pepper. Stir and cook 1 minute.
3. Add broth, wine, red tomato, yellow tomato, salt, thyme, bay leaves, and saffron. Stir well to combine.
4. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes.
5. Wash seafood in cold water and pat dry. Add to broth mixture and bring to a boil over high heat.
6. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the seafood is opaque, 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes 8 servings
Note: Optional items are not included in nutritional facts.
Total Carbs 8.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 2.5 g
Total Fat 6.9 g
Saturated Fat 1.3 g
Unsaturated Fat 5.6 g
Potassium 1,172.7 mg
Protein 56.5 g
Sodium 327.9 mg
Scallops, shrimp, catfish and crab take center stage in this
low-carb, zesty seafood stew. And with fish as the main ingredient,
this dish features plenty of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids --
great news for people with diabetes. Fisherman's... More