Dr. Dede Bonner answered:
Reducing stress as a fibromyalgia remedy is probably one of the easiest and safest treatments possible. You can avoid drugs’ side effects, pay little or nothing, and enjoy broader health benefits as well.
Taking the time to slow down and savor the small moments is a life skill that is difficult for most people, but it pays great rewards. Our busy lives keep us moving so fast that we often miss out on the things that are truly important. Each of us has experienced moments of peace, depth, and meaning. But it’s tough to make daily relaxation as normal as brushing your teeth.
The first step in de-stressing your life is an honest self-assessment of what’s causing your stress. Download all of your freefloating brain and artery-clogging gotta-do’s for a few minutes while you ask yourself the following questions:
- When is the last time I felt really relaxed?
- Why am I stressed? What major life changes have I had to deal with within the last year?
- How much is worry or stress affecting my sleep?
- Has anyone close to me told me they were worried about my stress level?
- If I’m really honest with myself, how much do I think excessive stress contributes to my fibromyalgia?
- How much does my job contribute to my stress?
- When I’m stressed, what do I do about it? How well do I recognize stress in myself?
- If I wasn’t feeling stressed, what would be different?
- Do I set standards or expectations for myself that are really too hard to achieve?
- Who and what can help me the most to reduce stress in my life?
- What is my preferred antidote to stress? How destructive or constructive is it?
Stress is a common medical condition that is largely undiagnosed and untreated in millions of people. Medical research continues to reveal irrefutable connections between both the powers of stress and relaxation on our health. Just as stress has a chronic negative effect, regular relaxation has been shown to repair the damage caused by our response to stress.
Consider seeing a professional counselor or therapist if your stress is out of control or you’re having trouble understanding its causes and solutions.Find out more about this book: The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to...Reducing stress as a fibromyalgia remedy is probably one of the easiest and safest treatments possible. You can avoid drugs’ side effects, pay little or nothing, and enjoy broader health benefits as well. Taking the time to slow down and savor... More