Preventive care services include:All members
- Yearly preventive medicine visits (wellness visits)
- All standard immunizations (link to http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/acip/default.htm#recs) recommended by the American Committee on Immunization Practices
- Screening for colorectal cancer, elevated cholesterol and lipids
- Screening for certain sexually transmitted diseases and HIV
- Screening and counseling in a primary care setting for alcohol or substance abuse, tobacco use, obesity, diet and nutrition
- Screening for high blood pressure, diabetes and depression
- Screening mammography and evaluation for genetic testing for BRCA breast cancer gene
- Screening for cervical cancer including Pap smears
- Screening for gonorrhea, Chlamydia, syphilis
- Screening pregnant women for anemia, iron deficiency, bacteriuria, hepatitis B virus, Rh incompatibility
- Promotion of and counseling for breast-feeding
- Osteoporosis screening (age 60 and older)
- Counseling women at high risk of breast cancer for chemoprevention
- Screening for prostate cancer for men (age 40 and older)
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm in men (age 65-75)
- Screening newborns for hearing, thyroid disease, phenylketonuria and sickle cell anemia
- Standard metabolic screening panel for inherited enzyme deficiency diseases
- Counseling for fluoride treatment
- Screening for major depressive disorders
- Vision screening
- Screening for developmental/autism screening
- Screening for lead and tuberculosis
- Counseling for obesity
A non-grandfathered group health plan offering group or individual health insurance coverage must provide coverage for preventive care.
This provision is part of the health care reform law, also known as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). It is effective for plan years beginning Sept. 23, 2010.
Certain procedures may not be fully covered under some benefit plans. Check your health plan regarding your coverage of services.
Learn more about what is and what isn't covered by playing "preventive or not preventive" with U. Horace Cartwright.
Preventive care services include: All members Yearly preventive medicine visits (wellness visits) All standard immunizations (link to http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/acip/default.htm#recs) recommended by the American Committee on Immunization... More