Chocolate is rich in antioxidants and flavor. This delicious truffle recipe uses two kinds of dark chocolate, along with nuts and coconut, for a decadent dessert that’s perfect for people with diabetes. One or two of these treats will satisfy your chocolate craving.
Click below to watch chef Michel Nischan craft these tasty truffles.
Nutty Chocolate Meltaways
6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp agave nectar
1-3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts , fine, skin removed (divided)
6 oz dark chocolate bar, 70% to 85% cacao, shaved or small chunks
12 oz heavy whipping cream
1-3/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut (divided)
1. Add 1 cup water to bottom of double boiler. Replace top pan. Bring water to boil over high and reduce heat to medium.
2. Combine chocolate and heavy cream in top pan of double boiler. Heat 5 minutes, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted and cream mixed in.
3. Add agave nectar, 1 cup of hazelnuts, and 1 cup of coconut. Stir until well mixed.
4. Remove from heat and lift top pan out of water. Allow mixture to come to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until chocolate mixture is solid but pliable.
5. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Using small ice cream scooper or melon baller, scoop chocolate balls (about 1" diameter) and roll into smooth balls with hands. Place onto baking sheets.
7. In small shallow bowl, combine remaining coconut and hazelnuts. Roll each truffle to coat completely, and replace on baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in freezer for 3 to 4 hours.
8. Store truffles in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 1 month.
Makes 50 servings
Amount Per Serving
Total Carbs 5.9 g
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
Sugars 1.8 g
Total Fat 7.2 g
Saturated Fat 3.6 g
Unsaturated Fat 3.6 g
Potassium 28.1 mg
Protein 1.3 g
Sodium 2 mg
Chocolate is rich in antioxidants and flavor. This delicious
truffle recipe uses two kinds of dark chocolate, along with nuts
and coconut, for a decadent dessert that’s perfect for people with
diabetes. One or two of these treats will... More