Here are 10 tips for reality acceptance:
- Remember that acceptance does not mean approval! You don't have to like reality, but in order to reduce your suffering, you do have to accept it.
- Be assured that acceptance also doesn't mean that you give up or that you stop trying to change the situation.
- When you get discouraged, remember that accepting reality will help to reduce the intensity of your emotions. It just takes a while. Keep at it!
- Remind yourself that acceptance doesn't happen overnight. The more painful the situation, the harder it will be to accept and the longer it will take to do so.
- Recall situations in the past that you have been able to accept. This can help you keep practicing reality acceptance, even when it feels hardest.
- Bear in mind that acceptance is not the same as forgiveness. We work on acceptance for ourselves; it has nothing to do with the other person. Forgiveness is optional; acceptance is necessary for you to move on with your life.
- If accepting something seems overwhelming, try breaking it down into smaller situations for you to accept.
- Focus on the present; stay out of the future. We can't accept things that haven't happened yet.
- Don't attempt to accept judgments; it can't be done. This is about accepting reality. Judgments are judgments, not facts.
- Remember that accepting reality isn't about making your pain go away. It will reduce your suffering, but pain is a natural part of human life.
Here are 10 tips for reality acceptance: Remember that acceptance
does not mean approval! You don't have to like reality, but in
order to reduce your suffering, you do have to accept it. Be
assured that acceptance also doesn't mean that you... More