Eating breakfast provides you with energy after going several hours without food or caloric drinks. If you go too long without "fuel" - you can be sluggish physically and mentally.
- Often when you get hungry- after the hunger pains are ignored long enough- you get a headache, which distracts your focus, instead of feeling good and learning.
- Many common breakfast foods (breads/cereals, fruits and milks) are great sources of nutritious carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, minerals, calcium, vitamin D and whole grains. Not only do these give your body the nutrients it needs but they give your brain fuel to think.
- One research study in 4th grade students compared children who had eaten breakfast- then given a test- to those who had not eaten breakfast- and tested -they then switched the groups on a different day. The days the students ate breakfast- they scored significantly better on their tests.
- Morning hunger has a significant effect on learning since it reduces concentration, problem-solving, and muscle coordination.
- Long term: when kids can’t reach their learning potential day after day, then they can get further and further behind.
Take advantage of breakfast- use it as a way to get in those nutrient rich foods, give your brain a boost, and improve your grades!Eating breakfast provides you with energy after going several hours without food or caloric drinks. If you go too long without "fuel" - you can be sluggish physically and mentally. Often when you get hungry- after the hunger pains... More
Breakfast prepares children and teens to meet the challenges of learning. Kids who regularly eat a morning meal tend to perform better in school, often scoring higher on tests. While adults may condition themselves to overcome symptoms caused by breakfast skipping, children cannot. They experience the very real effects of short-term hunger, such as headaches, stomachaches, and low energy levels. Hunger often interferes with their learning by reducing concentration, problem-solving, and muscle coordination. Skipping breakfast is especially hard on young children because basic skills such as reading, writing, and arithmetic are often taught first thing in the morning.
Eating breakfast seems to improve kids’ overall behavior in school. Those who eat breakfast are more likely to attend school whereas breakfast skippers tend to be tardy or absent from school more often and may need to leave class to visit the school nurse because of hunger pangs or other symptoms caused by breakfast skipping or skimping. Breakfast eaters report having more energy and tend to be in a better mood, which helps them participate in school overall.Breakfast prepares children and teens to meet the challenges of learning. Kids who regularly eat a morning meal tend to perform better in school, often scoring higher on tests. While adults may condition themselves to overcome symptoms... More
Rose Reisman answered:
How many times have you told your children to eat their breakfast since it’s the most important meal of the day? I’m sure daily! Eating a healthy breakfast, not just any breakfast, can improve school results in students.
Your kids should wake up in the morning hungry for food because most of it has been depleted and used for repair and regeneration during our sleep. If not, they’re probably eating the wrong foods late at night. A habit that must be broken! Eating breakfast is like refueling and restocking the body with the energy they need for studying, if not the body will have to draw fuel from its own energy stores until the next meal. Going to school without breakfast is like running a car on an empty tank leaving us feeling irritable, tired and unable to learn and perform work well.
Research has shown that students who eat breakfast are likely to achieve higher grades, have more focus on lessons and participate more during class discussion. Skipping breakfast will lead to eating less nutritious food, simple carbohydrates and give in to junk food cravings which sedate the brain, preventing effective learning. This will also lead to overeating later in the day on the wrong foods.
It is not just eating breakfast but the right type of food that matters. Examples of unhealthy meals are:
- Too sugary or refined carbohydrates: pancake, waffles, pastries, scone and muffins
- Too fatty: fried eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns
What is a healthy breakfast?
Complex carbohydrates and protein in equivalent amount of calories makes the brain alert and contributes to better learning. Here are some suggestions for a healthy breakfast:
How many times have you told your children to eat their breakfast since it’s the most important meal of the day? I’m sure daily! Eating a healthy breakfast, not just any breakfast, can improve school results in students. Your kids... More
- Instant oatmeal with fruits and nuts
- Higher calcium, lower fat dairy foods
- Whole grain cereal with dried fruits, nuts and low fat milk or soya milk
- Egg breakfasts with a minimum of fat
- High protein yogurt with fruits
- Whole wheat bread with peanut butter or cheese
- Fruit salad with cottage cheese
- Shake blend of yogurt, milk or soya milk and fruits