Question

Yoga

Do I have to be very physically fit to practice Bikram yoga?

• Since this type of yoga practice is very physically demanding and performed in a very hot room, it is recommended that you have some prior general yoga experience and at least a moderate activity level to begin. This based on a typical experience in Bikram classes and the fact that even very fit practitioners sometimes experience lightheadedness and dizziness due to the combination of movement and heat.
  • There are people of varying ages and fitness levels who participate in Bikram yoga but be aware that initially the heat is difficult to cope with. The instructors do recommend that you try and stay in the room for the full 90 minutes even if you just lie on the mat. After 6 months, I still find that some of the poses make me feel lightheaded but the heat is not an issue any longer. You will sweat profusely so you will need to ensure that you drink a lot of water prior to, and after your yoga session. Practicing Bikram yoga requires patience, calmness and determination but is a wonderful practice and is very beneficial to your health and wellbeing.
  • Due to the fact that traditional Bikram Yoga is practiced in a room regulated at 105 degrees Fahrenheit with 40% humidity, getting acclimated to the environment can be very challenging. A standard Bikram Yoga session is 90 minutes, and therefore, a moderate fitness level is highly recommended and good overall health is imperataive. Even though Bikram Yoga is not your traditional cardiorespiratory training, you can burn a significant number of calories while gaining strength and flexibility.
What is hot yoga, or Bikram yoga?