Question

Yeast Infections

If I have yeast infection, does my sexual partner need to be treated?

• Yeast infections are not sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and health experts don't know for sure if they are transmitted sexually. About 12 to 15 percent of men get an itchy rash on the penis if they have unprotected sex with an infected woman. If this happens to your partner, he should see a doctor. Men who haven't been circumcised are at higher risk.

Lesbians may be at risk for spreading yeast infections to their partner(s). Research is still being done to know for sure. If your female partner has any symptoms, she should also be tested and treated.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

• AKevin Windom, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    No, it is not necessary for your partner to be treated if you have a yeast infection.  I do tell patients that when they are doing a 3-night course of over-the-counter medications for yeast infections that they should refrain from intercourse.  If your sexual partner is not circumcised, sometimes yeast can harbor in the foreskin of his penis, and this could possibly increase the chances of him giving you the yeast infection again so this is something to ask your partner as well as to discuss with your healthcare provider.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Should I call my doctor if I think I have a yeast infection?