Question

Yeast Infections

When should I call my doctor if I have thrush (oral candidiasis)?

• AHealthwise answered

Call your doctor today if you or your child has been diagnosed with thrush and:

• You have symptoms that show the infection may be spreading, such as white patches on the skin outside of the mouth.
    • Your symptoms are getting worse or have not improved within 7 days of starting treatment.

Thrush in an infant's mouth can spread to the breast of the nursing mother. This can cause nipple redness and pain. Contact your doctor if you have redness and pain in the nipples in spite of home treatment or if you have burning pain in the nipple area when you nurse. Your doctor will likely examine your baby's mouth to find out whether thrush is causing your symptoms.

Watchful waiting

If you have previously been diagnosed with thrush and you believe you may have another thrush infection, home treatment may help. Very mild cases of thrush may clear up without medical treatment. Talk to your doctor if:

• Your symptoms are getting worse or are not improving in spite of home treatment.
    • Your symptoms recur frequently.
    • You have HIV infection, cancer or another condition that weakens your immune system.

Who to see

The following health professionals can diagnose and treat thrush:

• Pediatrician
    • Nurse practitioner
    • Physician assistant
    • Family medicine doctor
    • Internist

Other specialists may be required if other organs become infected or other conditions develop. The type of specialist depends on the organs affected and may include the following:

• Gastroenterologist
    • Dermatologist
    • Gynecologist
    • Infectious disease specialist

To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. To learn more visit Healthwise.org

© Healthwise, Incorporated.

What increases my risk for thrush?