Question

Women's Health

When should I start getting mammograms?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Breast cancer is one type of cancer where family history is especially important. If you have two close relatives who've had either breast cancer or ovarian cancer, especially if it's before age 40, I recommend you start screening at age 25. But if you don't have previous history, you should get a mammogram starting at age 40. And you should have one at least every other year after that.

Early mammograms don't prevent cancer, but they can detect it--and if caught early enough, it can be treated with the most conservative means (such as a lumpectomy).
  • AUCLA Health answered
    Although the 2009 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force suggested that women at normal risk for breast cancer should begin mammography screening starting at age 50 and get screened every other year, the consensus among leading organizations continues to be that women should begin annual mammograms at age 40. “Approximately 15 percent of breast cancers occur between the ages of 40 and 50,” says Lawrence Bassett, M.D., section chief of the Iris Cantor Center for Breast Imaging. “Beginning at 40 gives us a good baseline to start with and helps us catch most cancers that occur when a woman is in her 40s.”

Women at elevated risk of developing breast cancer should begin annual mammography screening sooner than age 40. If a woman’s risk is very high, she may also require screening with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), Anne Hoyt, M.D., medical director of the Santa Monica UCLA Women’s Imaging Center, notes. For women considered to be at very high risk, including those known to carry mutations in the BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 genes or who have a strong family history of breast cancer, the recommendation may be to screen every six months, alternating between mammograms and MRIs.
  • AMary Clay, Nursing, answered on behalf of Swedish

Studies show that the breast X-ray can detect a lump two years before it can be felt and can identify up to 90 percent of breast cancers. That's why the American Cancer Society recommends that women have a mammogram done once a year starting at age 40. Women with a family history of breast cancer may be advised by their physician to start earlier than 40.

If my mammogram shows a mass, does that mean cancer?