Question

Women's Health

What causes ovulation?

• Ovulation is part of the normal menstrual cycle. It is stimulated by several different hormones during the first half of the 28-day cycle. An increase in follicle-stimulating hormone makes several follicles, each containing an egg, develop in the ovary. Later in the cycle, the follicle-stimulating hormone level drops. The female hormone estrogen then stimulates one egg to mature inside a follicle. Luteinizing hormone then stimulates the follicle to release the egg, causing ovulation.
  • AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Ovulation Hormones
    Ovulation occurs in response to two hormones—luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).  Watch the animation to learn more about ovulation.

How can I use my temperature to know if I'm ovulating?