Question

Wisdom Teeth

How do I know if I have wisdom teeth?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    Most adults have their wisdom teeth (called third molars), or they have had them removed. If you are over 21 years old and have not noticed these big molars in the back of your gums, it may be because your wisdom teeth are impacted or stuck under the gums. Ask your dentist to check your wisdom teeth and determine if they have erupted, or broken through the surface of the gums. An X-ray of the teeth will show if they are impacted. Your dentist can recommend further treatment if your wisdom teeth need to be removed.
  • AWilliam M. Litaker, Dentist, answered

Individuals with wisdom teeth will have 32 teeth. The wisdom teeth or third molars will be the very back teeth on the top and bottom left and right. Sometimes, the third molars do not erupt, and the teeth stay in the jawbone where you cannot see them. Your dentist can take x-rays to determine if you have third molars if they are not visible. 

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What are wisdom teeth?