Wellness is a difficult word to define. Traditionally wellness has meant the opposite of illness and the absence of disease and disability. More recently wellness has come to describe something that you have personal control over. Wellness is now a word used to describe living the best possible life you can regardless of whether you have a disease or disability. Your wellness is not only related to your physical health, but is a combination of things including spiritual wellness, social wellness, mental wellness and emotional wellness. Wellness is seen as a combination of mind, body and spirit. Different people may have different ideas about wellness. There is no single set standard for wellness and wellness is a difficult thing to quantify.
1 AnswerLara Honos-Webb, PhD, Psychology, answeredScientific research is increasingly showing that time in nature has direct and measurable positive effects on attention. Stephen Kaplan proposed the Attention Restoration Theory to explain that time in nature offers a relief from directed attention and thereby restores our capacity to pay attention. Research has shown direct impacts on improving focused attention following time in natural settings, including gardens, walks in the park or even just artwork depicting natural beauty. So many studies have shown positive results that one review of the literature describes time in nature as a readily available therapy with no side effects and zero cost that consistently and reliably boosts cognitive functioning.
1 AnswerLindsey Duncan, Nutrition & Dietetics, answeredDid you know that internal cleansing can change the state of your health more effectively and efficiently than just about anything else? The path to better health and well-being begins with an internal cleanse.
I’ve learned from Dr. Bernard Jensen, the pioneer of natural cleansing and detoxification, that you can’t put clean water in a dirty bottle and expect it to do any good. You must first clean the bottle. This is important for your body as well: cleanse first and then add vitamins, minerals and supplements. Everything will work better and you’ll feel better.
Every tissue and cell in your body is fed by your bloodstream which is supplied by the bowel. If your bowel is dirty and in need of cleansing, all of your organs and every cell in your body will be dirty as well. You need to cleanse your bowel before you can expect any kind of healing to take place or expect to feel better.
Stress, environmental pollution, poor dietary choice and lack of exercise makes it more important than ever for you to go on a cleanse to improve your health.
Think of your body like an automobile engine. Like a car engine, your body burns fuel for energy (your food), and expels the by-products of that fuel as waste. Over time, all engines need “steam-cleaning”, tune-ups and periodic maintenance. The pipes become clogged, the spark plugs become congested and oil, grit and grime build up around the engine block. Without preventative maintenance, your car begins to perform poorly, eventually breaking down—just like your body. You must keep your “pipes” cleaned out and in good shape to experience good health.
The benefits of internal cleansing do not happen overnight because restoring and rejuvenating your health takes time, but no amount of healing can take place unless you start with “clean” insides.
I encourage you to give cleansing a try. I assure you that you’ll lose weight (weight loss through waste loss), rid your body of toxins, have more energy, and feel better than you have in years.
2 AnswersLara Honos-Webb, PhD, Psychology, answeredThe best way to increase your motivation is to define yourself by your gifts. When you know what you are good at, and define yourself by that, you gain confidence which leads to increased desire to show what you have and apply yourself. Below are some quick tools for increasing your motivation on the spot:
- Think of something you want to accomplish but are not feeling motivated to do. Write a list of 10 reasons you can be successful at this. For example if you have to do a job search and are not feeling motivated you can list the reasons you will be successful finding a job, such as having unique work experience, having high quality references, having excellent data management skills etc.
- Increase your interest. If you have to do something that doesn't feel interesting ask yourself "How can I make this more fun?" Can you find someone to help you with a project, or can you listen to your favorite music while doing it, or work outside in a natural setting?
- Decrease stress. High levels of stress kill motivation. You need to manage your stress. Practicing relaxation techniques will increase your motivation. The quickest ways to decrease stress are deep breathing exercises, meditation, slowing down, recreational activities, physical activity and social engagement.
- You can increase motivation by thinking of how good you will feel when a task is behind you. Instead of thinking of how terrible it will be to do your taxes, think of how great you will feel when it is all over. The positive feeling of being free of it will motivate you to get it done.
- The distraction delay technique can be helpful to keep you motivated. If you are working on one project and your motivation is high but then you think of something you'd rather be doing or should be doing your motivation will get derailed. You can stop this by keeping a journal or writing on your cell phone or lap top a list of all the distractions that come to your mind. Promise yourself you will take a look at the list of things that pop into your mind as soon as you have completed your current project.
- Instead of "What do I feel like doing?" Ask yourself "What is my purpose in this moment?"
1 AnswerFor those who need to be handheld through a quick cleanse, try the following 12-step program every day for three full days:
1. On waking, take a probiotic with hot tea or hot water with lemon.
2. Stretch, do some exercise, you may feel hungry or slightly lightheaded so adjust your pace/duration accordingly but even 15 minutes will net some fat-burning effects.
3. Make a protein-greens drink with water (or coconut water) and a healthy fat like avocado. Drink slowly and take a vitamin D3 supplement.
4. Sip on hot beverages (herbal tea, water with lemon) throughout the morning. If starving, add almond or rice milk (organic, plain).
5. Midmorning: have a snack of 1 cup organic applesauce and 1 tablespoon flaxseeds or chia seeds.
6. Midday: this is your best time for an eating occasion. Try organic veggies or veggie soup (pureed, no
dairy) with vinegars or hempseeds, herbs, and spices (roasted and sautéed veggies are great too if done with a healthy organic oil).
7. Midafternoon: perhaps a tea latte (self-made unless you have a place that does organic almond or rice milk and no sweetener; most commercial coffee shops making tea lattes use both sugar-based tea powders and sweeteners or sweetened soy milk, so make sure you ask) with some veggies or cultured veggies with hempseeds, spices, and dressing or a small cup of soup or real seaweed salad (not the neon green sweet one at the store). If you're not into all the "fancy stuff," some cut up cucumber, jicama, and celery and mix it with cayenne and lime to make a great crunchy snack option.
8. Before 7 p.m.: blend up a smoothie but skip the added greens if you have trouble sleeping.
9. About 1 hour before bed take a magnesium citrate supplement that aids sleep and stress reduction. Dosage should reflect your regularity -- if you are having regular bowel movements go with 1 to 2 teaspoons.
10. Consider dry brushing the skin, a hot bath or shower, coconut oil on wet skin, a facial mask for 20 minutes, and using a roller to roll out your muscles.
11. If you can, during the cleanse wear minimal or no makeup or nail polish and let the body air itself out.
12. Get regular exercise (yes you want to sweat), schedule a massage and infrared sauna sessions, practice yoga, take long (hilly!) walks, and find time to sit in silence.
2 AnswersRather than thinking of detoxification as a way of eliminating energy-depleting elements from your body, think of detoxification as a way of giving your body the equipment it needs to effectively act as its own shield against energy-depleting ingredients and incoming toxins, some of which we just cannot circumvent today.
Detoxification helps fuel the engines that will literally clean up your body on a cellular level and support its natural operations. It also can physically re-boot your body so you can begin to make those small but transformational shifts in your lifestyle that will help you to live a more energetic life.
2 AnswersEating a balanced, clean diet, coupled with adequate physical activity is more than enough to keep your body mean, lean, and clean -- and does so without any of the side effects of an extreme detox. When people come to us for the secrets to detoxing the body, it usually means they've been indulging in their own "relax and enjoy life" phase of being less mindful of their dietary choices or they haven't been engaging in regular exercise and think a detox will help jump start their efforts. They find themselves feeling low on energy and thicker around the waist thanks to eating lots of processed and classic junk food, and washing it down with enough wine to make a desperate housewife look good. What they really seek in a detox program is motivation to go back to basics and evict all the things that tax their body's optimal functioning.
In some instances, someone may ask about a detox program as they are recovering from treatments or battling with digestive or immune-related issues. They wonder if a detox will clear out whatever is disagreeing with their body. This is actually the worst time for a detox, as the body is in a weaker state and needs nutrient support. The body should be given the resources it requires to attend to its physiologic needs.
1 AnswerDeepak Chopra, Alternative & Complementary Medicine, answered
Dr. Chopra coined the term synchrodestiny to refer to taking advantage of unpredictable moments in your life. In this video, Dr. Chopra discusses how you can use synchrodestiny to turn problems into opportunities.
1 AnswerFat is an issue that helps us to prevent binges, and which stabilizes mood-energy. Fat is not as stationary and inactive as a hibernating turtle. It can release hormones and chemical messengers that promote inflammation and will instruct your body to hold onto fat while breaking down components that are pivotal to energy metabolism, such as muscle.
Researchers have demonstrated that abdominal fat cells produce cortisol in large amounts. Japanese researchers have found that fat cells can generate free radicals that can then do damage throughout the body. They concluded that excess abdominal fat may bring on system-wide oxidative stress that has profound overall effects. So the lesson is clear: achieving and maintaining an ideal weight and a healthy muscle-to-fat ratio is important. It's also the cornerstone to optimal energy.