Question

Wellness

How often should I weigh myself?

• ADolvett Quince, Fitness, answered
    I've never been a fan of the scale. I always say "Judge your progress by the clothes you wear and the clothes you'll have to buy." If you must weigh in, do it first thing in the morning, at least twice a month.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • If weight loss is your goal you should only weigh yourself about once a week and have your body fat and measurements taken about every 2-4 weeks. Of course this has become an obsession with some people which you want to avoid. Remember you didn't put this weight on overnight so don't expect it to come off overnight either. 

• AMike Dow, PsyD, Addiction Medicine, answered
    Weighing yourself about once a week is the most effective. This helps you to immediately address any weight gain immediately without becoming obsessive. What happens when we don’t and we gain 5 lbs. in a month, for example, we feel hopeless. But if it’s a 1 lb gain over a week, that’s easy to tackle.
  • AMarjorie Nolan Cohn, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

In general, you should weight yourself about once a week or every other week. If you are trying to lose weight once a week is best. If you weigh yourself too often you may be discouraged by normal fluid shifts. It is best to weigh yourself in the morning, before breakfast. This is considered your true weight, and is the most accurate measure.

• ARose Reisman, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Often the scale doesn't respond immediately to what you are or aren't eating. Some weeks I'll be eating well, yet the scale doesn't always reflect my hard work.

Don't become a "scale junkie"; don't weigh yourself several times during the day, (many people do). This causes anxiety and can lead to overeating if you don't like the numbers you're seeing. On the other hand, don't get "scale phobia." Set the same time, either once or twice a week, to weigh yourself in the same clothing. This is the best indication of what is really going on.
  • Every 4 to 6 weeks. As long as you are focused on the WORK at hand, the results will come. Often times the scale becomes more of a focus than the work and this can affect our results in a negative way.

• ALaura Katleman-Prue, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Weighing in once a week is probably okay for most people. You can make yourself crazy if you try to weigh in too often. And weighing yourself after haircuts and nail clippings is definitely over the top! Everyone is different, though. If you're cutting your calories by 200 per day and losing one pound a month, it's probably best not to weigh yourself more than once a month. For most of us, though, weighing in every week is fine.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • If your goal is weight loss, it is recommended that you weigh yourself no more than once per week, and if your goal is increased lean body mass, the recommendation is once every two weeks. It is important when attempting to lose weight not to weigh yourself too frequently. Due to water weight fluctuations and the rate at which you lose body fat, weighing yourself more than once per week can be discouraging. In weight loss, depending on how many calories you are consuming and burning, recommended weight loss is one to two pounds. Considering the slow pace at which healthy weight loss occurs, weighing yourself anymore frequently than once per week will likely not provide you with the immediate positive feedback you are looking for. When you weigh yourself, in order to be as accurate as possible, you should keep certain variables constant such as the scale you use, the time of day you weigh, the day of the week, and the articles of clothing you wear. It is important to not take any single weigh-in too seriously. This means that whether you have not lost any weight at all, or have lost more rapidly than expected, do not adjust your program until you see the trend occur two weeks in a row. Because weight gain typically comes on more slowly, one half to one quarter of a pound per week, weighing yourself more frequently than once every two weeks can also provide misleading results. When weighing yourself with the intention of lean body mass gains, the same variables and recommendations should be applied as in weight loss.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
As a nice girl, how can I best take care of my mind and body?