To get to the source of fatigue that lasts longer than a few months you almost have to be a sorcerer. Doctors will use a systematic approach to making a diagnosis focusing on the most likely causes first. Distinguishing between sleepiness and fatigue is the first step.
Here are some questions that need to be answered to help you and your doctor narrow down the cause of fatigue.• Is your sleep disturbed (sleeping too little, too much) or not
• Do you have any other physical symptoms such as pain, fever, muscle
weakness or swelling?
• Does the fatigue fluctuate throughout the day?
• Does rest help?
• Are you getting enough exercise?
• Are you regularly eating a nutritious diet?
• Are you overweight?• Have you had a blood test to check for anemia, diabetes, hepatitis or
• Have you been bitten by any insects?
• Are you low in vitamin D?
• Are you experiencing an episode of depression or anxiety?
• Could you be pregnant?• Could you be experiencing an over-the-counter or prescription
medication side effect?
• Have you had age-appropriate cancer screening tests?
• Do you have any type of heart disease?• Are you abusing alcohol, prescription medications or recreational