Question

Weight Loss

Why is socializing over meals an obstacle to weight loss success?

• AAndrea Pennington, MD, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Many Americans have been taught since childhood to socialize around food. While it is nice to gather with friends and family in a relaxed atmosphere of joyful eating, unfortunately, we do not do so in moderation. Instead, we find ourselves eating too much, eating out of guilt, eating when we're not hungry and eating to be polite. Instead of remembering the mantra ‘food is only fuel" we have been brainwashed to believe that food is social glue for us. Try this experiment at the next family gathering. Pour yourself water with a lime or lemon in it – instead of wine or alcohol. Put a few vegetables on a plate but don't eat all of the food. Just chat with family members, smile and get up from the table from time to time to help in the kitchen or serve others. You'll probably find that few relatives will notice or ask what you're doing and why.
If I want to lose weight, how can I manage my midday desire for junk food?