With all the information out there, try to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Silly). Successful weight loss programs all have the following in common:
1. Portion control – Identifying an appropriate portion of food
2. Eating close to the ground (the foods ... not you!) - Lots of whole grains, fruits and vegetables – these nutrient-rich, fiber loaded foods deliver lots of nutrition with relatively few calories and they fill you up
3. Eating breakfast – while it does not have to be first thing in the morning, people that eat breakfast are more successful at weight loss and weight loss maintenance than people who do not
4. Chewing not glugging – Loads of studies reveal that our bodies do not register beverage calories the same way we do food calories. Soda, sports drinks, cocktails all contain a significant amount of calories but they do not help fill us up, so we don’t reduce the other foods we are eating to compensate
5. Watching the “extras.” It’s not that you’ll never again have a brownie, but if these high-calorie foods (sweets, processed snacks foods, alcohol, fast foods, etc.) are a regular part of your diet, you will have a hard time losing weight. While weight control (why some people gain while other people lose) remains in some ways a mystery even to the scientists who study it, following these five simple rules will dramatically increase your chances of success.