A Answers (6)
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answeredIf you are trying to tackle fat all over or simply want to lose weight, consider raspberry ketone supplements. Raspberry ketone, a natural compound found in red raspberries, helps your body to burn fat by breaking up fats within your cells. It contains the hormone adiponectin that boosts metabolism. The supplement is recommended because you’d have to eat 90 pounds of raspberries to get the same effect. Take 100 milligrams of raspberry ketone at breakfast time. You can start to see results in just five days and more dramatic results over time. You can find it online and in health food stores for about $12.Helpful? 5 people found this helpful.
Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
Body fat loss requires a balanced approach of diet and exercise. Fad diets do NOT work when it comes to body fat loss, so if it promises quick results with little work pass it up. Establish your base calorie intake and make sure that you are creating a calorie deficit DAILY. A pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories so you can eliminate 500 calories per day from your diet and burn an extra 500 calories per day with moving more to equal a body fat loss of 1-2 pounds per week which is a healthy rate of fat loss.
Now, to eliminate 500 calories per day you can try some tricks such as passing on the candies and fat laden treats, trade the morning bagel for oatmeal, and switch to black coffee instead of sugar and cream. Also, be very aware of portion sizes and make it a point to weigh and measure your food as you are starting out.
To make the body burn off an extra 500 calories per day, step up your workouts. Instead of walking aroung the block try running as fast as you can for 30 seconds then walking to recover for 1 minute and repeating this cycle for 30 full minutes. You can also run stairs or bleachers to increase calorie burn. If you have a gym membership, try out a new class such as cycling, step, or Zumba to get your burn on. Remember to incorporate at least 3 days of strength training per week to ensure that you keep your lean muscle mass and therefore raise your metabolic rate, meaning you burn more calories no matter what!
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answeredThe answer is simply you have to take in less calories than you need on a daily basis. There are many ways to determine the amount of calories that you need. There are scales that now give estimated caloric needs, the best way would be to get a body fat test and have your metabolic rate determined by a health professional. When you have this question answered you can do almost whatever you want with your body fat. To lose body fat eat less calories than your daily needs and the inverse is also true when you eat more calories than you need you gain body fat.
Vonda Wright, MD, Orthopedic Surgery, answered
Want to Lose Body Fat? Then Eat!
Starving will not make your body fat go away. Remember that thin does not mean fit. Skipping meals makes your body think it is starving and activates all your body's defenses that are meant to protect it from true starvation. Our bodies have developed a variety of strategies to store and hold on to calories more efficiently if they don't know when your next meal will be.
This response to meal skipping is called the "starvation response." It kicks in when women eat less than 800 -- 1200 kilocalories and men eat less than 1200 -- 1800 kilocalories per day. The starvation response results in a slowed metabolism. Your body uses its own muscle as fuel (remember that muscle takes more energy to metabolize normally without doing extra work), and calories are quickly converted to fat.
If you slow your metabolism by going into starvation mode, you can still eat very little while exercising more because you are using very few calories to live.
A sure way to increase your metabolism is to increase your muscle to fat ratio or carrying a load. Another way is to eat small meals every three hours. This approach works for several reasons:
• Food digestion itself burns a lot of calories.
• A steady stream of healthy mini-meals prevents desperate vending machine binges.
• Small meals control fat storage.
• Nutrients are effectively utilized.
• Complex carbohydrates plus lean proteins and "healthy" fats stabilize your blood glucose and insulin levels, preventing the post-lunch energy crashes.
• Muscles develop better and break down less with a steady flow of protein.Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Mike Carragher, DO, Age Management Medicine, answered
Many patients ask me how to lose unwanted body fat. Many of you realize (or will realize) that as we age, it becomes increasingly difficult to do. But it isn’t impossible! Actually, it’s quite possible when armed with the right information.
Here are the 4 keys to decreasing body fat:
- Control your blood sugar and insulin levels. Insulin is a hormone that is released by the pancreas in response to sugar in our diets. With elevated insulin levels, you can’t burn fat for energy. It is physiologically impossible. Controlling your blood sugar by eating a low glycemic diet keeps insulin levels low so you can burn fat for energy.
- You have to exercise! Both aerobic and anaerobic exercise is critical. At The Body Well in West Hollywood, we customize 20-minute workouts for our clients that incorporate both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Anaerobic exercise is especially key because it engages the muscle fibers that will release testosterone and human growth hormone (HGH). Beverly Hills weight loss clinics cannot compare to being shown a way to change your physiology and body composition so you can turn your body into a fat burning machine. The more lean body (muscle) mass you have the more calories you burn at rest. You can literally burn fat while you are sleeping!
- Sleep more. According to a study published October 5, 2010, in the Annals of Internal Medicine, when dieters got a full night’s sleep, they lost the same amount of weight as when they slept less; however, more than 50% of the weight they lost was fat versus only 25% in the group who cut back on sleep.
- Optimize your hormones. Almost across the board, research studies show that if your hormone levels are optimized, you have more likelihood of having a lower body fat percentage than if they are suboptimal. Have an experienced Age Management Physician evaluate you for suboptimal hormone levels. At my clinic in West Hollywood, human growth hormone (HGH), testosterone, DHEA, cortisol, thyroid, insulin, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone are all measured carefully so we can optimize your levels of these critical hormones.
Armed with the right information, and not falling prey to the latest quick-fix, you can truly transform your body in a way that has you looking and feeling better than ever while decreasing your risk for chronic degenerative diseases. And slowing down the aging process!Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Lisa Lynn, Fitness, answered
The key to losing body fat is to eat a diet that starves your fat cells. Watch this video featuring fitness expert Lisa Lynn to learn how.