Question

Water

What water filtration system should I use?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Some people might want to invest in a filtration system for their homes that can remove specific contaminants. There are a variety of devices -- carafes and faucet mounts, as well as countertop, under-the-sink, and whole house (point of entry) units. They can make water taste better and also remove certain impurities and contaminants.

Since the mechanism and ability to remove contaminants varies by product, no single filtration system can protect against all contaminants. Choosing a filtration or purification device will depend on what you want to remove and how much you want to invest.

The EPA provides standards but does not endorse specific devices. It suggests that consumers match the filter to the contaminants and consider personal preferences for care and cost. There are three organizations accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) that certify that water filters meet EPA standards and work the way they should: Underwriters Laboratory, NSF International, and the Water Quality Association.

How can I keep my family safe from water contaminants?