Question

Water

Do they make flavored water without artificial sweeteners?

• AMarisa Moore, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
    Yes. There are several flavored water brands without artificial sweeteners on the market. To find them you'll have to become a bit of an ingredient investigator.

Look beyond front-of-package claims like “natural” and “calorie-free” to check out the ingredient list. Check for simple ingredients. You may see terms like carbonated or sparkling water, natural flavor or mint. I’ve even seen “essence of cocoa” listed as an ingredient for a flavored water.

Shop for cans or bottles of plain or sparkling water with lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit juice added for flavor. These are typically unsweetened and may require an adjustment for your taste buds as you learn to appreciate the essence of the fruit flavor without sweeteners. You’ll likely find flavored waters in the water aisle versus the snack/soft drink aisle at the supermarket.

I’d be remiss not to mention that it’s super easy to make your own flavored water.
    • Fill a pitcher or reusable water bottle with ice cold water. Add fresh slices of your favorite citrus fruits like lemon, lime or grapefruit. Alternatively or in addition, you can add fresh mint or basil to the water. Cucumber slices, fresh ginger and cut strawberries and pineapple also make for a refreshing addition to cool water. Mix and match at will and enjoy!
Would bottled water be the best to drink?