Question

Walking

What are the effects of walking on my joints and muscles?

• AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine

The effects of walking on your joints and muscles are very beneficial.  Walking is one of the most basic forms of exercise that almost everyone can complete.  Your joints and muscles are built to function and assist your body to move, hence allowing you to walk.  As people age, muscular strength decreases and exercises such as walking are a great way to help reverse the decline.  In addition, walking helps circulate blood through the body and will help decrease inflammation around the area of the joint.  Be sure when walking to walk at a pace that is comfortable for you and your body to receive all the benefits walking has to offer!

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • ABrian Waldo , NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered

For most walking daily is something we take for granted.  We walk to the car in the morning, then from the car to the work station.   You get the idea!  Walking's effects on muscles and joints are generally very positive.  Walking is considered a low impact activity that will improve or maintain joint health through 1) maintaining blood flow and nutrition to the joints, 2) improved hydration to the cartilage or meniscus of the knee and other joints, 3) assist in moving inflammation out of a joint region or area.  Walking also strengthens muscular attachments to bones in the muscles directly used for the activity.  Muscles also will develop an improved ability to utilize fat and oxygen for energy during exercise as well as during non active times of the day.  If your just beginning a walking program, be sure to start slowly with 10-15 min 3-4 days per week and slowly increase the time to 45-60 minutes.  Possibly add days as you become more fit!

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How do I track my walking progress?