Question

Walking Programs

How can I start a walking program with the right attitude?

• AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine

First, do not look at the program as exercise. Think of your program as a lifestyle change and one that will be a beneficial change. Being active and health will lead to a life filled with benefits! Start a walking log or walking journal as well. Set a great goal, one that is attainable but one that is going to keep you motivated. Most of all have fun! Life is too short to not be enjoyed.

• Your mind and body are a team, and they need you to be the captain!  There is a song from the children's animated movie "Santa Clause is Comin' to Town" that starts "put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door!"  It's that easy once you take charge of your health and decide that you are worthy to reap all the benefits of walking to include a stronger heart, increased lung capacity, solid muscles, a connection to your community and other people, and new found confidence.  Lace up your walking shoes and walk out the door!
How can I plan my walking program?