Question

Walking Groups

How can I find walking partners?

• ALarry Cheskin, MD, Gastroenterology, answered on behalf of Johns Hopkins Medicine

Begin by asking people you are close with to walk with you, like a spouse/significant other, a family member, or a neighbor. While they may begin with a different level of initial fitness, they’ll likely be able to join you for a regular walk.

Not only will this give you a walking partner, but it will also provide you with an opportunity to catch up with each other in a relaxed environment.

A walking partner provides accountability – if you feel like you’ll be breaking an appointment with a close friend or family member, you’ll be less likely to skip the walk.

• ASteven Vigo, NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    Walking groups are fairly easy to find on the internet. Meetup.com is notably the premiere way to find a multitude of groups from walking groups to business networking mixers. Once on the site just search for any groups of interest within your area, you will be sure to find what you’re looking for.

Walking can be lots of fun when doing so with others. The benefits are not only a healthier you but will also foster friendships that can last a lifetime.  These groups usually meet on the weekends and walk in different areas each time.  One weekend you can be walking around a neighborhood and the next weekend you can find yourself walking in the mountains experiencing beautiful vistas.

Walking in any environment can improve your fitness level drastically. If your intention is to incorporate walking into your work out program or you just want to take up walking, it would be a good idea to invest in a devise such as a heart rate monitor that also tracks your caloric expenditure and has a GPS feature to track your routes. As you continue to walk you can progress each episode by comparing it to the previous one. 

Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast or live a sedentary lifestyle, starting a walking program can have an immense positive effect on your fitness level. Walk at least three times a week starting out for 20 minutes and gradually increasing your time and intensity that is comfortable for you.

The most important thing is to consult your physician prior to any exercise program.  Have fun and enjoy your walks for a better you!
  • Man Walking
    Its a great idea to find a partner for walking. This can be a great thing to hold each other accountable and have fun.Ask family members and friends,try to motivate them to join you. If you belong to a gym ask around and find people that go for walks already or ask them to join you. Have fun and be safe.

Man Walking
  • AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine

You may be able to find walking groups or partners at your local recreation centers. Other areas include YMCA’s, police departments, or any area that has community involvement. Look through local newspapers. Many venues are available. If you are unable then try starting your own!

A great way to start a program will be to find a few areas in which walking could take place. Be sure the area is safe for all, be sure lighting is present especially if every walking in the evening hours, and be sure you feel comfortable walking there. Following, contact your town to see about putting an ad in the paper. Next, post something on your town’s website. You may have to do some further investigation but this will be a good start!

• ATara Finch , NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered

Walking is a great exercise and also a great time to socialize with friends, family, or complete strangers even!

There are a few ways that you can find walking partners or groups, here are a few:

Check with co-workers, neighbors, family or friends.

You can go to websites like: meetup.com to find walking groups in your area.

You can also do a broad website search 'walking groups in (my area)'

Check your community center for postings to see if others are looking for partners as well.

Those are simply a few examples. Good luck on your search to find a walking partner!

• AMichael Nirenberg, Podiatry, answered
    A great group is the American Volksport Association. They are a non-profit group that advocates "FUN, FITNESS AND FRIENDSHIP." I have written about my experience walking with them here --- http://flowalking.com/2011/11/invigorate-your-walk-with-the-american-volkssport-association/
How do I find out about walking groups for seniors?