Question

Blisters

How do I treat a blister?

• Cover the blister with moleskin, a bandage or gauze. A blister protects your broken skin from irritants and bacteria. Do not pop a blister unless absolutely necessary. You may drain the fluid from the blister with a sterilized needle, then apply an antibiotic ointment to the blister and cover with a bandage or gauze.

• Blisters should be protected to prevent further damage or infection. A blister should not be popped because it can result in the area becoming infected. The skin should be kept intact and allowed to heal naturally if at all possible. The area around the blister must be kept clean by washing the hands with warm water and soap. Padding, such as a donut pad, can then be added to protect the blister by taking pressure off of it.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AShirley A. Jones, RN, Cardiology, answered
    Treatment of a blister focuses on preventing infection and soothing the painful, red, irritated skin that has fluid trapped under it. Blisters are commonly found on the feet due to ill-fitting shoes or can be caused by an irritation on the hands when gloves are not used while shoveling, gardening, raking leaves, or doing other chores.
    Even though you might be tempted to "break" a blister, it is best to keep pressure off it by making a donut-shaped cover. Use the following steps:
    1. Gently clean the blister with soap and water.
    2. Cut a hole in a piece of moleskin.
    3. Place the moleskin over the blister leaving ample room around it.
    4. Cover with a clean bandage.
    If you "must" drain a blister, make sure you wash the area with soap and water, use a clean needle to make a tiny hole in the side of the blister, press out the fluid, apply an antibiotic ointment to prevent infection, and cover with a bandage.
    Remember, prevention is the key to avoiding blisters. Break in shoes and boots before long walks or hiking on rugged trails, use blister prevention pads, and wear gloves when working with tools and other equipment.
    Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
How can I exercise if foot blisters prevent me from running?