Question

Vestibular Dysfunction

What are the treatment options for vestibular dysfunction?

• Because vestibular dysfunction may be caused by a variety of disorders, the treatment options will vary depending on the source of your inner-ear problems. For example, your vestibular dysfunction may be caused by the fairly common condition known as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). BPPV occurs when calcium particles, known as otoconia, move around in the inner ear. It can almost always be treated with a simple physical maneuver or series of movements that can be done in your doctor's office or at home.

In the case of the less common inner-ear disorder known as Meniere's disease, vertigo, hearing loss, and other symptoms are the result of changes in the fluid of the inner ear, but in this case, the cause of those changes has not been identified. There is no cure for this disorder, but doctors often treat it with medications that combat motion sickness and nausea. In rare cases, surgery may be required to treat Meniere's disease. Generally, for many cases of vestibular dysfunction, balance exercises and some medications are necessary.

Should I talk to my doctor about my vestibular dysfunction symptoms?