Question

Uterine Fibroids Treatment

What is myomectomy surgery?

• AAlan Copperman, MD, Reproductive Endocrinology, answered on behalf of The Mount Sinai Health System
    One of the most common causes of infertility in women, uterine fibroids are abnormal growths in the uterus that almost always are noncancerous. 40 percent of hysterectomies are performed for the treatment of uterine fibroids. New microsurgical techniques have been developed to make myomectomy a choice for some women. Myomectomy is a surgery that removes the fibroid tumor and leaves the female organs intact. Reconstruction of the uterus is often part of the procedure. Specialists who perform myomectomies can discuss whether or not this is a procedure to resolve your problem and whether or not the procedure can be done on an outpatient basis. Medications are another option for treating fibroid tumors in some women. Prescription medications are available that can shrink the size of the fibroid and lessen heavy bleeding and pain. These medications can be used for a limited period of time and require careful monitoring by a physician.
  • AEdmond Pack, MD, OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered on behalf of Southern Hills Hospital
    What Is a Myomectomy?
    A myomectomy is removal of fibroids from the walls of the uterus, says Edmond Pack, MD, an OB/GYN at Southern Hills Hospital. In this video, he talks about the difference between myomectomy and hysterectomy.
  • With a myomectomy operation, the surgeon cuts away large uterine fibroids (myomas), common noncancerous tumors of the uterine musculature, without removing the uterus, so that a woman can maintain her ability to bear children. Removal of the fibroids tends to weaken and scar the uterine wall, so future deliveries may have to be performed by cesarean section. Myomectomy may not be recommended for women who do not desire future fertility or who are menopausal.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

• AKevin Windom, MD, OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered

Myomectomy is the name of a surgery that removes (ectomy) fibroids (myoma) from a woman's uterus. Classically this is done with a "bikini" incision and once the fibroid is removed then the uterus is reconstructed. If the uterine cavity is entered then the patient will need a C-section at the time of delivery. Many women have pain, heavy bleeding, or infertility as a result of fibroids.

A myomectomy can be performed laparoscopically - but this is a very difficult procedure and I am only able to remove small fibroids this way. Now that the daVinci robot is available, I have been able to remove multiple fibroids and ones as large as 13cm in diameter (cantaloupe size).

If the fibroid is inside the uterine cavity then it can be removed hysteroscopically.

If you are facing this problem demand that your healthcare provider perform this surgery in a minimally invasive manner or refer you to someone who can give you that option as long as it is a safe and realistic alternative

Should my fibroids be removed by my obgyn or surgeon?