Question

Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

How does a urinary tract infection affect the body?

• Urinary tract infections can affect the bodies in several ways, depending on the specific location of the infection and the severity of the infection. When the lower urinary tract is involved and the severity is limited, local symptoms such as pain and burning with urination, frequent and hesitant urination, and blood in the urine are typical. When the upper urinary tract is involved and/or the severity of the infection is more pronounced, more generalized symptoms such as fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal and back pain may appear. When urinary tract infections are treated promptly and effectively, complications are unlikely. However, if treatment is delayed or insufficient, significant complications can arise.

If I get urinary tract infections (UTI) often, how can my doctor help me?