Question

Urinary Incontinence

How can I prevent a urine odor if I have urinary incontinence?

• AMay Wakamatsu, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    An unpleasant urine smell due to urinary incontinence can interfere with your work and social activities. But simple changes in your normal routine can prevent or minimize odors.

If you don't drink much fluid and your urine has a strong odor because it is too concentrated, drinking more water may help. But don't go overboard, or you might increase urinary frequency and leakage. Acidic urine tends to have less odor, so you can take extra ascorbic acid (vitamin C) or cranberry juice to lower your urine's pH. Certain foods, such as asparagus, may add odor to the urine. A strong odor to the urine may also be a sign of urinary tract infection.

Urine collection devices can be cleaned with vinegar and water, and you can add vinegar or baking soda to your wash water to remove a urine smell from clothing. Vinegar is much better at eliminating odors than products that attempt to cover odors with heavy fragrances.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How can I prevent skin irritation due to urinary incontinence?