Question

Urinary Incontinence

How can I avoid dribbling of urine?

• AMay Wakamatsu, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    Many men, young and old, are troubled by the dribbling of urine after the main stream has stopped and the bladder feels empty. Even if they wait a moment and shake the penis before zipping up, there can be embarrassing wet or stained trousers. At highest risk: men with enlarged prostates.

The medical term for this is post-micturition dribbling. It occurs when the muscles surrounding the urethra don't squeeze hard enough for it to empty completely, leaving a small pool of urine at a dip in the urethra behind the base of the penis. Within a few minutes, the urine dribbles out.

Try these approaches to avoid wet and stained trousers due to dribbling of urine:
    • Practice pelvic floor exercises to increase muscle strength.
    • "Milk out" the last few drops of urine. Using the fingertips of one hand, start about an inch behind your scrotum, and gently press upward. Keep applying this pressure as you move your fingers toward the base of the penis under the scrotum. Repeat. This maneuver should move the pooled urine into the penis, where you can shake out the last few drops. With practice, you should be able to do this quickly and unobtrusively.
    In women, dribbling can occur when a little urine gets trapped in the vagina, dripping out when you stand up from the toilet. Wipe inside the vagina before standing to see if this eliminates the dripping. Sometimes, tightening the pelvic floor muscles after you wipe and keeping the muscles tight as you stand up also prevents the dribbling.
How can I help prevent urinary incontinence in women?