Question

Urinary Incontinence Treatment

Do I need to see a specialist for bladder problems?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    There's a good chance that the doctor you see for annual health check-ups and other routine medical issues can also treat your bladder problems. He or she will likely teach you special exercises to strengthen the muscles that control your bladder. If necessary, your doctor might also prescribe medication.

If these treatments don't solve your bladder problem, your doctor might refer you to a specialist. Which one? That depends. Some treatments for more serious bladder problems require surgery, so obviously you would see a surgeon. However, before recommending surgery, your doctor may refer you to a therapist who performs biofeedback. This technique involves the use of an electronic device that helps train you to gain better control over the muscles that control your bladder.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Better to do so sooner rather than later if things are persisting. Your gynecologist, midwife, nurse practitioner, or family practice doctor will know a lot about urinary incontinence issues during menopause. If things are not resolved, though, your primary physician may suggest that you go to an urologist, urogynecologist, or urogenital surgeon.
  • Your primary care doctor or gynecologist can usually diagnose and treat bladder problems. In some cases, however, you may need to see a urologist, a doctor who specializes in the urinary tract, or a urogynecologist, a doctor who specializes in urinary and related problems in the pelvic area.
How can my doctor help with bladder problems?