Question

Types Of Exercise Programs

What exercise will strengthen my anterior deltoids?

• A great exercise to strengthen your anterior deltoid is the seated shoulder press machine. 1) Begin by sitting in the machine and looking to see if any adjustments must be made to the seat or handles. 2) Select the desired weight. 3) Press the weight overhead until your arms are fully extended. 4) Lower the weight to the original position. 5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the desired number of repetitions.  

• An exercise you can use to strengthen your anterior deltoids (front part of the shoulder) is the seated dumbbell front raise: 2-arm.  To perform this exercise, begin by sitting on bench with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed hip-width apart.  Hold a dumbbell in each hand with the arms hanging at the side of body.  Next, pull in your belly button to tighten your core, and with the elbows straight raise your arms in front of your body to shoulder level. Be careful not to shrug the shoulders or arch the lower back as this will force other muscles to do the work of the exercise.  Hold the top position briefly before lowering your arms back down to the side of your body.  To increase muscular endurance, perform 12-20 repetitions for 1-3 sets, and to increase strength perform 8-12 repetitions for 2-4 sets.
What is a good exercise to tone my shoulders?