Question

Types Of Exercise Programs

What are ways to tighten my butt?

• The glutes are the largest muscle in the human body, yet for many of us they can present a sagging problem...especially as we age :). There is no need to wander too far from home to get some lasting, and lifting, results.

1. Nutrition is key. Make sure you are taking in enough calories to support your muscles. Crash diets and severe calorie restriction will result in a depletion of muscle mass. This negatively affects both the metabolism and the glutes. Make sure you eat a balanced diet and vary your choices. The most common lean muscle-building ratio is a healthy 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 30% healthy fats. Adjust accordingly to your nutrient needs based on lifestyle.
    2. Resistance is critical. Strength or resistance training helps to build lean muscle mass as well as tighten skin by boosting collagen production. Old school squats and lunges work wonders for the glutes and legs. Also, check out this sure fire glutes move:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPPD0qRRaVU&list=UUefGFk3c8SmrXkDFejhSieA&index=66&feature=plcp
    3. If you're plagued with cellulite and feel as though your butt could use more of a boost, you can try some home remedies. Remember, these DO NOT replace a healthy diet and exercise. Coffee scrubs, made from already brewed coffee grounds, help draw water from the skin, resulting in short term tightening. You can also try creams with caffeine such as Nivea CoQ10 skin tightening moisturizer or Bliss Labs Fat Girl Slim. Results take up to 6 weeks of continued use.

Remember to have patience and exercise consistency to see full results.

Here's to your glutes that salute! :)

www.michellecfitness.com

• The most commonly utilized exercises that work the glutes include squats, lunges, and deadlifts.

To perform a dumbbell squat, grab a set of dumbbells and find some open space. Place your feet roughly shoulder width apart and let your hands hang down by your sides. Keeping your stomach and glutes tight, slowly lower yourself through your knees as if you’re going to sit in a chair. Don’t allow your knees to wobble by keeping your glutes, thighs, and stomach tight as you’re lowering. Once at the bottom, hold for a second, and then slowly come back up pushing through your feet and extending your knees. Perform the desired amount of repetitions and sets.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Many people think to work your glutes you need equipment.  I find that the best exercises to target these muscles use your own body weight.  I believe the best exercises to tighten and lift your butt are squats, lunges, hip extensions, and one leg dead lifts.  And even a little bit of cardio works out those muscles too.  A good walk or run helps.  Make sure that if you are just beginning any routine take your time and start off in sets of 5 and build your way up. These exercises do have many variations and can be adapted for an entry fitness level to a superior fitness level. So make sure you contact a HFPN coach for further assitance.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ASadie Nardini, Alternative & Complementary Medicine, answered

The following yoga move is incredible for toning the glutes and improving your rear view, and it's super easy to do. I notice a difference if I skip it for even a week! Hands-and-Knees Pose with Leg Lifts: Come onto hands and knees. Keep your belly lifting and lower back long as you lift your right leg into the air as high as you can. Do 20-30 pulses with the heel pointing up and toes straight down, hips squared. Do another round of 20-30 pulses with your toes turned out to the side. To finish, pull your knee into your chest to counter-stretch the muscles you just worked. Then switch sides. After both sides, stand, up, walk around. You'll feel an instant toning and lifting back there, which will only increase the more you do this pose. Enjoy!

• AJoel Harper - Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    Concentration Lunges. With your hands on your waist and your feet shoulder with apart step forward with your left foot and drop down on your right knee. Make sure both your legs are at perfect right angles. While keeping your shoulders over your hips lift and lower 25x, get full range of motion—all the way up and all the way down. Switch sides. Try to build up to doing 100 in a row. The entire time breathe and keep your spine upright.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • The good news is there are several body weight exercises to tighten and lift your butt. These can all be done in the privacy of your own home and will definately get your glutes burning. Lunges (several varieties) alternating forward - take a step forward, get your knee as close to the ground, without actually touching it, then push yourself back to a standing position. Progress to walking lunges. Reverse lunges - step backwards instead, and then side lunges. Squats are another great lower body, glute exercise. If you are uncomfortable/unstable squatting, try squatting over a bench - so if you have an issue you can just sit down, or use a stability ball placed in the lower portion of your back for support, then squat. Squat down like you were going to sit in a chair, then stand back up. Be sure to keep your knees in line over your toes, feet hip width apart, feet straight. Start by performing 12 reps for 3 sets, taking a 30 sec. rest between. Have fun.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • This is a concern with so many men and women, yet many are not willing to ask about it.  I would start with a very basic gluteus maximus activation.

Here is what I would like you to try:  Basic Floor Bridge

1) Lie on the floor, on your back
    2) Bring your heels as close to your glutes (butt) as you can
    3) Extend your hands away from your sides, with your palms to the ceiling.
    4) Raise your pelvis (hips) off the floor while drawing in your bellybutton at your waistband
    5) While pelvis is raised, you should be doing three things:  engaging your glutes, engaging your core by drawing in the waistband, and breathing.
    6) Check to make sure that there is a straight line from your knees, hips and shoulders.  Drive some weight down on the heels. 
    6) Hold the pelvis up for 4 seconds, and slowly lower to the floor.
    7) Repeat 12 times and try it every day, add increasingly difficult variations.
    Helpful? 5 people found this helpful.
What exercises target the butt and thighs?