Question

Types Of Exercise Programs

Can dance be a form of exercise?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    1 095 06 On Steps With Stepp
    Exercise doesn't have to be boring. Find out more as choreographer Stepp Stewart shows Dr. Oz in a video about using dance as a fun form of exercise.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AJoanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT, NASM Elite Trainer, Physical Medicine/rehabilitation, answered
    Of course!  Classes like Zumba, Line Dancing and evening current television programming such as Dancing with the Stars show that dancing is an effective way of staying in shape and engaging in regular exercise.
  • AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine

Dancing is a great form of exercise.  All of your muscle groups will be used with dance.  Muscles ranging from your calves with each step you make to your quadriceps and hamstrings help your go side to side and back and forth.  Your glutes, abdominals, and lower back will be used to help you twist side to side, forward and back.  Your back, chest, biceps, triceps, and shoulders will be used with any upper body movements and if you dance like me then they really get put to work!

• AJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    Dance is an excellent form of exercise. From a pure functional bias, dance authentically moves the body in all planes of motion at varying distances/heights. Dance utilizes gravity to "turn the body on", and most importantly dance is fun! Different forms of dance can be utilized to progress or regress and individual appropriately. 
  • AMark Levine , Fitness, answered
    Yes, dancing can be a form of exericse and IS a form of exercise. There are now classes in Zumba, Ball Room Dancing, and my parents were in great shape from square dancing. As long as you're moving and having fun then thats all that matters. There are also games on the WII that is dancing for exercising and there is also the DDR, Disco Dance Revolution.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • You can factor dancing into your weekly workout totals. Just as with your other cardio exercises, the intensity and duration of dancing determines the number of calories you burn. Thirty minutes of moderate-intensity dancing is comparable to the same amount of time spent walking at 4.5 mph or cycling at 10 mph.
What is a workout I can do that takes less than 10 minutes?