Exercising regularly is the key to staying fit for a long, healthy life. Adding regular exercise, at least 30 minutes a day into your lifestyle helps:
- Promote weight loss and weight maintenance – moving burns calories and balances your calorie budget, keeping your body's energy in equilibrium.
- Put you in a better mood. Exercise has been shown to not only elevate your mood, but it also helps prevent depression.
- Combat chronic disease – including high blood pressure, osteoporosis, high cholesterol, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer.
- Give your energy level a kick into high gear!
Now if you are wondering how you can add regular exercise into your life, here a few tips to get you moving:
- Buy a pedometer and start getting in 10,000 steps per day. You can easily add steps into your day by doing things like parking in the last spot at the store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Don’t be afraid to run up some of those stairs as well!
- Add simple, quick exercises into your day: do things like lunges down the hall, stand up from your desk every hour and take a short walk, pace during phone calls and do 20 squats or do crunches while you watch TV.