Syrup of ipecac is a drug that was used in the past to make children vomit after they had swallowed a poison. Although this may seem to make sense, making someone vomit is not a good poison treatment because having the poison travel back through the throat and mouth could actually cause more harm. Don’t give your child syrup of ipecac or saltwater or do anything else to make him gag. If you have any syrup of ipecac at home, flush it down the toilet and throw away the container.
From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Find out more about this book:The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents