Question

Tooth Extraction

What medications will I need to take before and after a tooth extraction?

• Whether or not you need medication before an extraction depends on the health of your mouth. If the tooth is infected, your dentist may prescribe antibiotics before scheduling the procedure.

After the extraction, your dentist may prescribe a pain reliever, such as ibuprofen. If the pain medication does not work for you or if you have prolonged severe pain or vomiting, call your dentist immediately or go to a hospital emergency room.

• AJerry Gordon, Dentist, answered
    In most cases, you should take the same medications you normally take before and after a tooth has been extracted. In some cases, medications that increase bleeding or antibiotics may be needed to be altered or prescribed before a tooth is extracted. After a tooth is extracted, pain medication may be needed for a few days. Consult closely with your dentist prior to having a tooth extracted to address these issues.
Will I have to be put to sleep to have a surgical tooth extraction?