Question

Healthy Tongue

What are the benefits of tongue cleaning?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    There are several benefits associated with tongue cleaning. Many of the bacteria that cause bad breath actually live on your tongue, and using a tongue scraper to get rid of them will help you keep your breath in check. Similarly, the same bacteria that cause plaque and gingivitis can live on your tongue as well. Cleaning it regularly will help prevent tooth decay and other serious oral complications. Scraping your tongue daily may even help to prevent more serious health complications that arise when bacteria in your mouth enter your bloodstream and travel to other parts of your body. It’s not a bad idea to add tongue cleaning to your daily routine of brushing and flossing.
  • Brushing your tongue helps keep your mouth healthy. This removes any excess plaque and odor causing bacteria. You can do this either by using your toothbrush or a tongue scraper.
How should I properly clean my tongue?