Question

Healthy Tongue

How should I properly clean my tongue?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    Your tongue should be cleaned using a tongue scraper or some other type of device that gently scrapes the surface of your tongue. Using a toothbrush to brush your tongue may not be as effective. Start the cleaning process by sticking your tongue out and observing it in the mirror. As you begin, you’ll want to place the scraper as far back on your tongue as possible. Until you get used to this it might make you gag. As you apply pressure, pull the scraper forward to the front of your tongue. After each pass with the scraper you should rinse it off to clean away and accumulation of debris. Continue scraping until there is no visible debris on your scraper.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Lightly brushing or scraping your tongue removes any excess plaque and odor causing bacteria. Tongue scrapers come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and work by starting at the back of the tongue and pulling the scraper forward. Although there's no strong evidence that tongue scrapers are any more effective than regular brushing of the teeth and tongue, it may help curb bad breath.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
What is the purpose of your tongue?