Question

Thyroid

How can I tell if my thyroid gland is working properly?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    2 071 03-2 why freezing

Dr. Oz discusses what a healthy thyroid gland does for the body. In this video, Dr. Oz. explains two do-it-yourself tests to see if the thyroid is working correctly.

• Both an underactive and overactive thyroid gland can cause symptoms. If you are experiencing symptoms such as fatigue, depression or anxiety, changes in sleep, changes in weight, intolerance to hot or cold temperature, hair loss, dry skin, muscles aches or tremors, or menstrual irregularities, you may have a thyroid problem. Additionally, symptoms of thyroid enlargement such as a swelling in the neck, hoarse voice, or increased discomfort wearing neckties or turtlenecks, should prompt a thyroid investigation. Ask your doctor to test your thyroid function if you are experiencing any of these symptoms.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Diseases of thyroid function: Hypothyroidism

• AJames Lee, MD, Endocrinology/diabetes/metabolism, answered on behalf of Columbia University Department of Surgery

An individual may not always present signs or symptoms of a thyroid condition during a physical exam. It is therefore critical to conduct a blood test to gauge the functions of the thyroid. 

• There is a simple blood test that can be done that helps tell your doctor if your thyroid is working properly. This test is usually done only when there are symptoms that are suspicious for a thyroid problem. These symptoms can be variable and often have causes other than a thyroid problem.

Some common symptoms that may be due to a thyroid problem are:
    • heat or cold intolerance
    • hair loss
    • abnormal menstrual periods
    • dry skin
    • fatigue
    • constipation
    • diarrhea
    • anxiety 
    It's best to see your doctor if you have symptoms suspicious for a thyroid problem.
Should I have my thyroid checked if I can't lose weight?