Question

Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

Do I need to be concerned if I grind my teeth?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Tooth Grinding and Headaches
    The primary chewing muscles involved in the unconscious clenching or grinding of the teeth are very strong and over time, can cause dental damage and pain. Watch the animation to learn more about these muscles and tooth grinding.

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    You should be concerned if you grind or clench your teeth a lot. Grinding teeth, or bruxism, is common among many people but usually doesn't cause any harm. If you do it regularly, however, you can damage or fracture your teeth. You can loosen your teeth and cause them to fall out or wear them down. In this case, your dentist may recommend bridges, dentures, root canals, or implants. Grinding teeth can also damage your jaw and cause temporomandibular disorder (TMD), a condition affecting the jaw joint.
  • If you grind your teeth regularly, talk to your dentist. Not only does teeth grinding cause facial pain such as headache, sore jaw, toothache or earache, but repeated grinding can wear down your teeth and cause them to crack or loosen fillings.

Regular dental visits are important to find damage in the early stages. Your dentist can help you manage bruxism and the related symptoms, as well as repair and help prevent further damage to your teeth.

• ASupriya Verma, Dentist, answered

Teeth are never supposed to touch each other in a healthy mouth. If you are grinding your teeth you are causing premature damage to your teeth and could experience pain in your jaw muscles over time. In order to prevent this damage from taking place a Nightguard should be worn so that the guard gets worn rather than teeth.

Which muscles are involved in teeth grinding?