• nail plate: the visible hard part of the nail
• nail folds: the skin that frames the nail plate on three sides
• nail bed: the skin beneath the nail plate - The cells at the base of your nail bed are the ones that actually produce the fingernail or toenail plate.
• cuticle: the tissue that overlaps your nail plate at the base of your nail - it protects the new keratin cells that slowly emerge from the nail bed
• lunula: the whitish, half-moon shape at the base of your nail underneath the plate
Find out more about this book:YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life