Treatment for substance abuse disorders, like every medical condition should be tailored to the needs of the client. Basically there are a few distinct treatment paths, and for many people a combination of treatments are necessary:
- 12 step programs-free and confidential with very flexible meeting schedules
- Detoxification- Short term treatment to get past the medical issues that are associated with withdraw from some substances (the most worrisome being benzodiazepines and alcohol)
- Inpatient treatment-residential care varying from a few days to several months to a year or more
- Outpatient treatment- Combinations of group treatment and individual treatment variable in length and intensity bases on the patients’ needs
- Medication Assisted- Medication prescribed by a physician to assist in maintaining or achieving sobriety. Not intended as a standalone treatment modality.